Can you sue for damages if you are injured at a college party?

With colleges and universities opening their doors once again for the fall semester, many students will be attending college house parties. Some of these students will be 21 and old enough to legally consume alcoholic beverages; however, there will be others who are not. What happens, though, when someone is injured at one of these parties? Who can be held responsible for medical bills and other damages?

Injuries suffered at such parties generally fall under personal injury cases. An injury might occur when someone slips and falls down a staircase where a beer has been spilled or a balcony that collapses under the weight of too many people on it. There can also be injuries suffered because of someone’s negligence, such as when someone underage drinks dangerous amounts of alcohol.

Who can be held liable for such injuries?

There could be several people who could be held responsible or it may only be one person. The host of the party could be held accountable, as could the property owner. If the party occurred on property owned by the college or university, these entities could be held liable. If the college or university is a public school, there are special rules that govern lawsuits against the government.

What damages may be sought in a personal injury case?

An injured party may sue for claims of medical expenses, emotional distress, pain and suffering and other damages and losses. There are time limits in place that limit how long an injured party has to file a personal injury claim. These time limits are called statutes of limitations and can vary from state to state.

Because there are so many variables when it comes to personal injury lawsuits, it’s best to consider the advice of an experienced premises liability attorney who can guide you through the process of pursuing compensation.

Source: FindLaw, “Injured at College House Party? Can You Sue?” Daniel Taylor, Esq., Aug. 14, 2014