Truck Accident Caused by Driver Negligence
Semi-truck accidents affect thousands of people every year, sometimes causing life-altering injuries. An 80,000 pound vehicle traveling at highway speeds can cause significant destruction if it collides with another vehicle or object. As a result, trucks and truck drivers are highly regulated by both state and federal law in an effort to mitigate the risk posed by these vehicles. According to the NYPD, the number 1 cause of a traffic accident is driver inattention (source)
Unfortunately, accidents involving tractor trailers continue to occur despite these regulations, sometimes causing serious injuries. The fact is that even in ideal conditions, drivers are bound to mistakes and equipment will sometimes fail. The good news for people affected by preventable truck accidents is that NY law allows victims to recover for their injuries by making a personal injury claim. The best way to maximize your chances of recovering for your injuries is to consult with an experienced truck accident attorney as soon as possible after your accident.
In order for a plaintiff to recover after an accident, he or she must establish that the accident was somehow caused by negligence. There are many potential ways negligent conduct could cause a truck accident. Some of the more common include the following:
- Failure to signal.
- Improperly secured cargo.
- Coupling device malfunction.
- Distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue.
- Driving under the influence.
- Failure to conduct a pre-trip inspection.
- Aggressive driving.
- Failure to account for adverse weather.
There are many other ways that negligence could result in a truck accident, and an experienced personal injury attorney can help determine whether and against whom you may be entitled to recover.
After a truck accident, victims should be certain to collect as much information as possible regarding the accident, including:
- The names of the drivers involved.
- The company responsible for the operation of the truck.
- The license plate numbers of the vehicles involved.
- Insurance information from the other drivers.
- Make note of any other circumstances that may have contributed to the accident, including adverse weather conditions or defects in the roadway, such as potholes or inadequate drainage.
Contact an Experienced Accident Attorney today for a free consultation
Following any type of vehicle accident, it is important that you contact a personal injury attorney to discuss a possible case. The experienced truck accident attorneys at Daniella Levi & Associates are ready to help you receive the maximum amount of compensation possible for your accident-related losses.