On March 19, 2020, Governor Andrew Cuomo issued an executive order allowing documents to be notarized remotely, using audio-video technology (such as face time, whatsapp or zoom) through April 18, 2020 based on the following guidelines:
- The person signing is not personally known to the notary, they must present valid photo ID to the notary during the video conference.
- The video conference must allow for direct interaction (i.e. no prerecorded videos).
- The person signing must affirmatively represent that they are physically in New York State.
- The person signing must transmit by fax or electronic means a copy of the signed document to the notary, the same date it was signed.
- The notary may notarize the transmitted copy and transmit the same back to the person signing.
- If the notary has to notarize the original document at some point, then, the notary may repeat the notarization of the original signed document as of the date of execution, provided the notary receives such original signed document together with the electronically notarized copy within 30 days after the date of execution.